Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Proverbs 8:Preeminence of Wisdom and Rewards

Dang, I've had a crazy couple of days! haha. Some really exciting stuff happen like finding my future apartment for me and my future wife and beginning to move stuff in, and having some sleeping/tiredness/school problems. But, God's got my back, so i'm alright. But those are all the excuses why i haven't blogged in a while, plus i've decided to not blog over the weekends. I totally still read though, and Chapter 5 has been my favorite so far! Quick thought; I find it really cool how Wisdom is being personified in the Proverbs, that maybe it isn't just an idea or concept, but a real being along with the Trinity. Most scholars think so. One scholar Marcus Borg (super liberal theology, but still very helpful) tells us that Wisdom is a feminine persona, translated to Sophia in the Hebrew. "Sophia" is the word for wisdom in Hebrew, but as we all know it's also a name. That's kinda cool

But anyway, on to Chapter 8. The thing that really rocked me this morning was reading verse 22-31.
"The Lord formed me from the beginning, before he created anything else. I was appointed in ages past, at the very first, before the earth began" v.22-23
"I (Wisdom) was the architect at his side. " v.30
This is really evolving my thoughts about Sophia/Wisdom. She isn't just a concept God created along with everything else. She isn't like goodness, or judgement, or faith. No, in fact, Sophia maybe HELPED CREATE those concepts! This Proverb is telling us that Wisdom was the FIRST thing they created, and they created her as a persona kinda like them, whom i'm gonna call Sophia throughout the rest of this blog. This Proverb is basically adding more detail to our view of Creation. In Genesis 1, there definitely is a "we" involved in the creating, but we use to just picture God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. But now we have to add another person to the list, it's God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, and Sophia! Sorry if those last three sentences basically said the same thing over and over again, but it's something i'm trying to fix into my brain. Sophia was there in the beginning, she's seen it all, and that has to mean she had a hand in creating me. Sooooo, if I ever had doubt in the power or cred of Sophia Wisdom Christ (that's my poor attempt at giving her a full name, haha. that wasn't blasphemous was it?) then I betta recognize! She knows what she's talking about. As these first couple chapters have been asking, i just need to humbly submit to her and like a student be taught by her. And the whole thing brought up about fearing the the Lord, that's heavy in my mind as well.

In this chapter i also feel like Solomon listed the rewards of listening to Sophia, i wanted to list them, to kinda get a sense of what i'm striving for in this (verses 12-21):
-good judgement
-knowledge
-discernment
-common sense
-success (the Christ centered kind)
-insight
-strength
-riches (again, the CCK)
-honor
-justice
Dang yo, that janke is tight! I want ALL OF IT! This for me right now, is a total "it's so fluffy i'm gonna die!!!!" moment. I love God, I love Sophia, and i want to make them proud and represent them right in our world. So I continue to pray that as I seek, then i will find them both (there's that paradox again Heather, i feel it!). And i promise, I didn't put that list up there because i think yall are dumb, this honestly is the way that i take notes for my personal memory. If we weren't blog sharing our thoughts, i would of done the same thing in my personal journal. I'm not sure if that's good or bad....haha. Yessssssss Lord



1 comment:

  1. I love this! One of my favorite proverbs posts so far! The way you got excited about Sophia made me laugh! I feel you! I can only think of Sophia Comess though. While she is very smart, I don't think she is quite the wisdom that God's Sophia is :D

    ReplyDelete