Thursday, February 3, 2011

Proverbs 3 (and a little 2): My First Tension

I had a crazy Wednesday, so I didn't have time to post my thoughts on chapter 2, but i'll keep it brief. All throughout the chapter it was talking about all the things that Wisdom will save us from; evil people and bad situations basically. And idk if i'm crazy, but this automatically made me think about testimonies. I grew up in the church, and all other church kids like me always say "man, i have a lame testimony". And we all envied the books our youth leaders would make us read about these people who had to hit rock bottom personally before they ever turned to Christ, and then from then onward they lived these exemplary lives. We ignorantly said to each other, "man, their hard times were soooo cool, that's a good testimony". I actually think that Chapter 2 lets us know that God doesn't necessarily want it to get that bad before we turn to him. Not to discredit anybody's spiritual journey, but i think if God had a choice, he would want us walking as closely to him as we can, taking on his Wisdom so we can avoid some of those dark experiences. Church kids will have their own struggles that will build their faith, take pride in your testimonies, they are important to God and to your evangelism later in life. As a psych major, i'm cooking up this analysis of the different cognitive experiences of Christians who have grown up in the church vs. Christians who have not. It could be good, it could be bad. TBD on that one, haha

Now, Proverbs 3. Reading this chapter i experienced some of the tension i was talking about in my first post on Proverbs. So please all yall reading, correct me if i'm wrong. But do verses 1-2 sound a little misleading to yall from our Christian standpoint?:

"My child, never forget the things i have taught you. Store my commands in your heart. If you do this, you will live many years and your life will be satisfying." NLT

Really? Following God will bring me long life and satisfaction? Yeah, it will, but i'm not sure that's necessarily the promise God gives us through Christ. What about Jesus' words in Mark 10:21-22:
"a brother will betray his brother to death, a father will betray his own child, and children will rebel against their parents and cause them to be killed. And all nations will hate you because you are my followers. But everyone who endures to the end will be saved."

That doesn't sound too "satisfying" to me. And didn't almost all of Jesus' disciples suffer young and gruesome deaths? Scripture tells of James being stabbed to death (Acts 12:2) and Stephen being stoned (Acts 7: 59-60). If you wanna see how hard the Apostle Paul's life was, take a look at 2 Timothy. You'll see Paul, the spearhead of the early Jesus movement, sitting in jail awaiting his execution alone, and although full of faith and purpose in our God, a little bummed (2 Timothy 4:9-18 gives you a good intro to his situation).
I know that was a lot of stuff; passages taken a little out of their contexts, and ill formatted, but I put it there to remind us of the suffering that's involved with following Christ. I have no idea what a Korean Christian felt reading that passage in Proverbs, when a dozen of them are huddled together reading one Bible that they all share because Bibles are illegal in their area (or at least one time were, it's been a while since i read about the plight of Korean Christians). And that if ANYONE saw them reading it, they would be shot dead on the spot. Ya know? Of course i'm not saying that Solomon is wrong in his sentiment here, that would be prideful of myself. But i'm asking us ponder how to reconcile verses like Proverbs 3:1-2 and Mark 10:21-22. If we as Christians believe that following God equals "long life and satisfaction", what would that make our Christianity look like?
Instantly the thoughts that came to mind were, well it's just a difference between Jewish and Christian thought. Or maybe it all depends on what you mean by the word "satisfying", because of course giving of yourself and sacrificing for God definitely is satisfying to those who love Jesus. Or maybe i'm thinking too hard, and misreading this point of wisdom. I've thought through a million possibilities already. So I've been and will be thinking all day about how this sentiment from Solomon is applicable in my walk. So yeah, please, tell me....what do you guys think about this?
~Jamal



6 comments:

  1. I think what Solomon is saying is that our lives will be long if we put our faith in God because we will be under his shield of protection. We will be filled with His wisdom and will be led down a path of goodness. When he mentions a "satisfying" life, I believe He means that satisfactions will be the "means" of our time on earth. I'm not sure if that made sense, but what I'm trying to say is that we would be able to look back on our human life and be satisfied by how we lived or what we had done {with His guidance}. I don't believe Solomon was promising us that we would be consistently happy during our time on earth, because we are indeed promised suffering. Not a single disciple, or Jesus for that matter, lived a life that was without pain or struggle. However, they lived their lives through and for God, and they delivered His word to those who had no knowledge of it! They opened their hearts to God's wisdom, and they obediently followed and accepted Jesus's teachings! So certainly their time on this earth could be viewed as satisfactory, right?

    Those are just the thoughts that streamed into my head. Sorry it was a bit of a tangent, and hopefully it isn't too awfully redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And i looked up satisfied/satisfies/satisfy in the back of my Bible. It says: "to please or appease; to fulfill and obligation." Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Jam. I saw the part about long life and I thought it confusing as well. I still don't really know what to make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone, I'm going to jump in with a thought if you dont mind. I think for us, believers today, we want to read these verses and "just" apply them to our earthly life. The problem is (if indeed there is one), we know that scripture also says this life will not be without its trials. Perhaps these verses ultimately mean that when we focus our on eyes on Christ we can rest secure knowing that our physical lives may end, but we have length of days because of our eternal lives with God. That is what should bring us ultimate peace. Feel feel to read my Proverbs 2 thoughts, maybe that will help show where my thought came from? Its important to remember the character of God and that His Word is true; He can't/won't contradict himself. So I think I sometimes need to widen my view, get my eyes off there here and now, and focus on the big picture - eternity. I'm going to research this question a little deeper because of your comment, Jamal. Thanks for causing me to dig a little deeper! You guys are doing a great job with this challenge/project! Keep the good thoughts and discussions flowing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops, I meant to say look at my Proverbs 1 notes, at the end. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Stephanie, I totally understand your point. And I think it's a good one. If we are taking the meaning of "satisfying" in the Christian context, then Wisdom and following God would be the suffered but fulfilling road like that of the disciples. Yesss, i feel that

    To Brenda, i see what your getting at. I will definitely check out your Proverbs 1 blog to see where your thought stemmed from. But i'm not saying that Solomon's words here are contradictory, but that they are incomplete possibly. I believe we have to put these words in their historical context to truly understand what he really meant to say. Christ was not in Solomon's scope, and the Jewish idea of eternity is a little bit different. A lot about Jewish thought is different then ours since Christ wasn't revealed yet. How we apply Scripture sometimes is different then how it was originally intended, especially in the OT, because all of it was written before Jesus came around. Jesus kinda changed things as we all know, haha. But he came not to do away with the Law, but to fulfill it.

    Thanks so much though for all yalls help. This is really encouraging to me and helping me through this tension

    ReplyDelete